Technical Service Representative
Summary of Position
This full-time position will provide direct technical support to our Coatings Business through the following responsibilities:
- Interface directly and build relationships with customers to 1) define and convert opportunities or to resolve customer complaints and issues, as assigned by the Technical Service Manager, Coatings in order to retain business.
- Design, plan and execute project elements in the laboratory, as well as in customers’ plants and laboratories, as appropriate, to meet customer requirements and expectations.
- Complete benchwork necessary to convert opportunities or to resolve issues.
- Provide effective and timely communication and recordkeeping at every stage of a project. This will include (but will not be limited to) progress reports, updates, call reports, electronic laboratory notebook, and project milestones reached or missed.
- Comply fully with the customer complaint and quality nonconformance process, and Quality Management System, including resolution of customer complaints through 8D Root Cause Analysis and other methodologies.
- BS/BA in an appropriate field of science (Chemist or Chem. Eng. preferred).
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt preferred, but not required.
- Ability and willingness to travel –– up to 30%, on short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work with and support colleagues, analyze and solve problems, control resources and implement programs, and possess project management skills.
- Knowledge of critical chemical functionalities for coatings formulations including base resins, additives, and pigments for water-based, solvent-based, and 100 percent solids coatings systems.
- Knowledge of formulation and applications of Architectural and Industrial coatings.
- Nominal understanding of color science with experience in the area of dispersion wetting and additive activity.
- Excellent oral communication skills – capable of providing presentations.
- Excellent writing skills; able to write clear and concise reports.
- Understanding of Chromaflo products and customer processes.
- Knowledge of Coating’s process theory –– both Chromaflo’s and customer processes.
- Ability for autonomous, self-guided work.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Complies with safety rules and regulations, attends safety meetings and training, inspects work area for hazards/deficiencies and initiates action to correct them. Also, reports injury/illness and/or environmental incidents.
- Assure safe handling of products and electrical/mechanical devices in the field.
- Travel –– provide on-site customer support as deemed necessary by the Technical Service Manager, Coatings or Business Director, Coatings.
- Application of problem-solving techniques in response to customer concerns and opportunities.
- Complete bench work required and defined by experimental design.
- Active support of, and participation in, all appropriate ISO 9000 Business Management System and Health Safety and Environmental aspects.
- Strong customer focus and attention to detail.
- Participate, when necessary, in the planning process, including fiscal year tactical plan, budgetary expenses, project objectives, timeliness, and guidelines for the development of technologies to address market specific needs.
- Establish safe chemical hygiene practices and procedures as it relates to the additives systems employed.
- Communicate technology in terms of value-added features and benefits as they support project objectives. Prepare exhibits, specimens and presentation that illustrate key characteristics.
- Issue periodic reports on progress and activities of assigned programs. Also, requisition supplies for the timely and efficient operation of projects.
- Determine specification requirements for materials used in or result from research and development.
Measure of Performance and Accountability:
- Attendance at area safety meetings and safety training
- Prevention of personal injury/illness
- On time completion of projects
- Quality, timing, and accuracy of reporting
- Personal standards of performance
- Business Director, Coatings
- Territory Sales Managers
- Coatings Technical Service Technicians
- Analytical Chemist
- Industry Manager, Coatings
- Sales Representatives.
Actions Requiring Approval:
- Project assignment and prioritization
- Significant alteration of target projects
- Travel plans
Actions Not Requiring Approval:
- Lab Work Request initiation
- Customer contact
The Incumbent Reports To:
- Technical Service Manager, Coatings
Positions Reporting to the Incumbent:
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and/or a general application. Be sure to attach your resume and list the position title in your subject line. You may also fill out a general application and bring it to a Chromaflo facility.