Technical Service Representative, Coatings
Summary of Position
This full-time position will provide direct technical support to our Coatings Business by:
- Interface directly and build relationships with customers to
- define and convert opportunities or
- to resolve customer complaints and issues, as assigned by the Technical Service Manager, Coatings in order to retain business.
- Design, plan and execute project elements in the laboratory, as well as in customers’ plants and laboratories, as appropriate, to meet customer requirements and expectations.
- Complete benchwork necessary to convert opportunities or to resolve issues.
- Provide effective and timely communication and recordkeeping at every stage of a project. This will include (but will not be limited to) progress reports, updates, call reports, electronic laboratory notebook, and project milestones reached or missed.
- Comply fully with the customer complaint and quality nonconformance process, and Quality Management System, including resolution of customer complaints through 8D Root Cause Analysis and other methodologies.
- BS/BA in an appropriate field of science (Chemist or Chem. Eng. preferred).
- Six Sigma Green Belt or Black Belt preferred, but not required.
- Ability and willingness to travel –– up to 30%, on short notice.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to work with and support colleagues, analyze and solve problems, control resources and implement programs, and possess project management skills.
- Knowledge of critical chemical functionalities for coatings formulations including base resins, additives, and pigments for water-based, solvent-based, and 100 percent solids coatings systems.
- Knowledge of formulation and applications of Architectural and Industrial coatings.
- Nominal understanding of color science with experience in the area of dispersion wetting and additive activity.
- Excellent oral communication skills – capable of providing presentations.
- Excellent writing skills; able to write clear and concise reports.
- Understanding of Chromaflo products and customer processes.
- Knowledge of Coating’s process theory –– both Chromaflo’s and customer processes.
- Ability for autonomous, self-guided work.
Major Areas of Responsibility
- Complies with safety rules and regulations, attends safety meetings and training, inspects work area for hazards/deficiencies and initiates action to correct them. Also, reports injury/illness and/or environmental incidents.
- Assure safe handling of products and electrical/mechanical devices in the field.
- Travel –– provide on-site customer support as deemed necessary by the Technical Service Manager, Coatings or Business Director, Coatings.
- Application of problem-solving techniques in response to customer concerns and opportunities.
- Complete bench work required and defined by experimental design.
- Active support of, and participation in, all appropriate ISO 9000 Business Management System and Health Safety and Environmental aspects.
- Strong customer focus and attention to detail.
- Participate, when necessary, in the planning process, including fiscal year tactical plan, budgetary expenses, project objectives, timeliness, and guidelines for the development of technologies to address market specific needs.
- Establish safe chemical hygiene practices and procedures as it relates to the additives systems employed.
- Communicate technology in terms of value-added features and benefits as they support project objectives. Prepare exhibits, specimens and presentation that illustrate key characteristics.
- Issue periodic reports on progress and activities of assigned programs. Also, requisition supplies for the timely and efficient operation of projects.
- Determine specification requirements for materials used in or result from research and development.
Measure of Performance and Accountability
- Attendance at area safety meetings and safety training
- Prevention of personal injury/illness
- On time completion of projects
- Quality, timing, and accuracy of reporting
- Personal standards of performance
- Business Director, Coatings
- Territory Sales Managers
- Coatings Technical Service Technicians
- Analytical Chemist
- Industry Manager, Coatings
Actions Requiring Approval
- Project assignment and prioritization
- Significant alteration of target projects
- Travel plans
Actions Not Requiring Approval
- Lab Work Request initiation
- Customer contact
Incumbent Reports To:
Technical Service Manager, Coatings
Positions Reporting To the Incumbent:
To apply, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with your resume and/or a general application. Be sure to attach your resume and list the position title in your subject line. You may also fill out a general application and bring it to a Chromaflo facility.